Water in "spurts"?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

FirstTimerJoe

Hey guys,

This happened last winter as well, so I assume it's something in this place. Last year we had little-to-no heat,but this year we go our propane tanks filled all the way up, so it's nothing freezing... Anyway....

Within the past month and a half, my water has been coming out in spurts. About 5 seconds of water, then will "go off" and about 20 seconds later, will come back on for another 5 seconds. Since my pipes froze last year, I've been paranoid with it happening again, and constantly keep the kitchen sink tap dripping. While that's dripping, there are no problems, but once I raise the pressure to use the water, it begins doing as I mentioned.

Trying to do dishes, take a shower, or even fill up a water bowl for the animals are impossible.
I have well water (love Vermont), and a blue Goulds water pump, and CPVC pipes.

I thought maybe my well could be low, or snow/ice in there and that's why it goes weird. But I shut off the water when I'm home (or not sleeping) in hopes it'll fill "back up", but that doesn't happen, keeps doing it when I turn it back on.

But obviously I have no idea. What do you guys think?
Thanks.
Greg

It sounds to me like something is freezing somewhere.
Since you are on a well, I would shut the well pump off and disconnect the line where it comes into the home. Turn the pump back on and see if you have a constant flow, That way you will know what direction to go in.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
FirstTimerJoe

Too much snow!! Ahhhh!

I can't get under the trailer where this is. Any other suggestions?
Greg

Can you disconnect the main line ahead of you home? that will split the two sides (well & home plumbing) to see where the problem is.

Actually the snow will help insulate against the cold & wind.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JeffInFL

Is it possible that his well pump is short cycling? I had that happen a few months ago. Basically the bladder inside the pressure tank had ruptured, and filled the whole tank with water. This didn't leave much room for air, so there was minimal pressure and the water came out in bursts.

If you turn on the cold water at the kitchen faucet and then go listen to the well pump, does it run constantly or keep cycling on/off/on/off every few seconds?

Do you have a water spigot right at the pump/tank area outside? Mine does, but I'm not sure if that's normal.
ponch37300

Since you state that it only happens in winter I would be leaning towards something freezing. Summer is fine, but last winter and this winter you have issues. You have to try and figure out where it is freezing. Do like Greg suggested and try to see if it's before the home or after. Narrow it down.

How is your well connected to your house? This will help with figuring out where it's freezing. Where it comes out of ground? Heat tape? Where is your well tank? Etc.
JeffInFL

it's there a thin water line that runs to the pressure switch? maybe the little bit of water in there is freezing