10 x 26 attached patio cover

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

opinion free

Hi All,
Back in April the 10 x 26 patio cover that's attached to my trailer blew away. Not the actual structure but the roof.
Yes, I've been working on it since then.
So on the free standing portion are 3 support beams. They are 6 x 6 x 8 foot beams. Mine all had horrible dry rot. I was all set to spend the $300 plus for the epoxy that fills in the rot and makes it stronger than it was initially. I have a big problem with spending $300 plus on epoxy. Guess what, you can buy brand new 6 x 6 x 8 beams for $27 each. Plans changed.
Here come the questions.
I'm going to have to attach a fascia board to the house to act as a place to attach the cross beams that attach the two, 26 foot long sections to each other.

1). The fascia board that I'm attaching to the house is going to be a 2 x 6. That should be enough, I hope? or is a 2 x 4 good?

2). Crossing the 10 foot width, how many 2 x 4s should I install that fun down the 26 foot length. Should I put a 2 x 4, every 2 feet, for as total of 13, 2 x 4s or should the cross beams be 4 foot apart?

3). Since I'm replacing the 6 x 6 x 8 beams, they sit in a very simple u bracket that has 2 bolts (1 on each of 2 sides of the 6 x 6 x 8 beams). Don't they make a better support bracket than this u shaped thing with only 2 points of attachment?

Thanks in advance for any help.
dave
jimncheryl

In California we can not attach any wooden structure to the mobile home eves without an engineering report from the manufacture and a permit from the dept. of housing and community
development, aka state gov.
We can only use aluminum , if it is freestanding, wood is permitted.
I would check with your building codes first.
Greg

As jihim said, check with the codes officer first, it's easier to work with him from the start rather than make changes after you start.

I would not use ANY 2x4s, 2x6 is not much more money and much stronger.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."