Level / Re-Level Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

spc13b2005

I am new to mobile homes. I was thinking the my Double Wide may not be level because half of my interior doors wont latch when you close them and I also have a couple of squeaky floors in the house. I went through the house with a 4ft level and checked some areas such as bathroom vanities, kitchen counters etc. through out the house. They all showed level.

I guess my question is can those items show level even if the piers may need to be leveled?
JeffInFL

The home might be level, but shifted over the years causing the doorways to no longer be square.
Greg

You just plain can not level a mobile home with a carpenter's level, here is why.
Even if you get it with in 1/16" with a 4' level over a 40' span that is 5/8" off assuming the level does not change between piers. The only way to truly check a home is with a water level.

Check the articles section of the site for an article of what to look for in a home that is unlevel.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
spc13b2005

Thanks for the replies. I will be making a water level in the near future to check the level under the house. I am going to buy marks book very soon also. I do have a lot of work ahead of me. I looked under the trailer and a lot of the belly covering is has fell or is totally gone. That is going to be quite the project. There is barely even and insulation between the floors and the belly material.