yellowing tubs and sinks help..

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mopower440

I have the plastic tubs and showers in my double wide and they are yellowing. Is there ANYTHING at all to whiten them back even a little? I sure dont want to replace them all just because of the yellowing being they are not busted or anything..
Thanks
UmpJJ

I found this on ehow.com....haven't tried it, but I may. I have the same problem -

"To remove discoloration from a yellowed bathtub, rub the tub with a solution of salt and turpentine. Rinse well. Caution: Wear rubber gloves when you work with this solution."

UmpJJ
HouseMedic

Do you have well water? If so is it maybe iron discoloration? I would try some CLR cleaner. It is available just about anywhere.
1987Commodore

The yellowing is caused by, or at least sped up by, sunlight.
steelworkersgal

Wont turpentine harm the plastic/acrylic finish on the tub??
You can do anything if you put your mind to
thatswhoiam

are you sure that its plastic and not fiberglass or acrylic ? there are tub refinishing kits

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/painting-s ... 34971.html

you have to sand the tub really well. also you can use oxalic acid (barkeepers friend cleaner) mixed with the mr clean with amonia. this will remove staining and help etch it for the refinishing paint.

a how-to refinish your tub . not sure what this tub is made of though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKsMXEpdefU

FROM everything i have read,and through brief experience, the main thing is getting the tub prepped for the paint, by making the surface lightly "roughed up" or sanded in order for it to accept the paint. the keyword is lightly, bc you dont want to damage the surface by sanding it too deep. washing the tub with tsp (trisodium phosphate) and follow up with a light sanding is also an option. remove any caulk if possible. then, the tub has be rinsed really well, dont leave any grit from the sanding behind, bc it will make a painted blob of mess. then dry well. (let air dry for few hours , then dry it with a blow dryer to assure complete dryness. this will warm the surface which helps adhesion of the paint (warm, NOT hot). then apply a good quality latex paint. let dry for about 6 TO 8 HRS, then for 2nd coat, paint over with an epoxy appliance paint (rustoleum has this). most sources say let dry 8 hours after this second coat, but thats if climate /moisture conditions are ideal). i would go minimum 72 hours with a small fan on low and also bathroom vent on. when painting the tub be mindful of particles dropping onto the surface,(this can foul the job up) wear short sleeves, and prevent any hair from getting on it at all costs. if anything should land into your fresh paint, use a pair of tweezers to get it out.

if done correctly, you can expect a fairly decent looking tub (at the very best)

take care of the tub and it should last possibly a year. if not, it will end up looking 10 times worse than before.
....don't clean the tub with abrasives or harsh chemicals, only use a mild detergent such as dawn dishwashing detergent. immediately dry up any water, don't leave anything sitting on the tub such as bars of soap or shampoo bottles, razors, washcloths, etc. dont spray any aerosols like air fresheners or hairspray near the tub.

you can paint the faucets and drain too. use a metal primer, then use a paint for steel/metal surfaces (a metallic finish looks good here).