spiders

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mopower440

I have a real hard time crawling under my double wide as it is, makes me very nervous. I had to do it today to fix my leaking shower drain. I was alright till i got way under there and on one set of piers there were brown rekluse spiders all over it just watching me! Wondering what i can use to get rid of all the spiders and insects from under the crawl space? Got to be something i can use under there to get rid of them! I have a permanent foundation around it..
1987Commodore

Call a pest control company. There is probably a spray they can use that will have a lasting effect.
Mark440

I've got the same 'phobia'. I'm fine with them being what they are...just not near me. But! To offer you a solution....FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH and a regular leaf blower. Make absolute 100% certain you get the "food grade" as anything less can cause lots of respiratory issues.

PUT ON A RESPIRATORY MASK! The food grade stuff isn't toxic but it turns to a gooey mud in your lungs. Found out the hard way...and I won;t go into the butt-chewing from the doc... :( . So....

Get a regular wire mesh sifter/strainer. Open up ONE section of the skirting about half way down the length or width. Turn the leaf blower upside down with the nose of it inside and the motor housing outside. Get a scoop of the DE in the sifter, then tap it against the intake on the blower. The leaf blower will suck in the DE and blow it out under the trailer in a super dusting. Do it several times until your satisfied it has covered the entire expanse.

THE DE is like shattered glass to insects with an exoskeleton. Crickets, spiders, ants, fleas, ticks, roaches....it cuts/gashes their outer shell...and then they dehydrate and die.

You'll probably see this 'cloud' emanating out thru any vents, but try to get the skirting put back into place to prevent any wind from blowing it out. You want it to just settle.

I do mine every year long about March and again in August/September. Works like a charm. No chemicals - and no glossy pair of eyeballs staring me down....

One note: if you have any abundance of moisture under the house - the DE will simply turn to mud and be ineffective. It has to be nice and dry! Likewise, if you spray it under decking - it's good until the first rain.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
mark hansen

Go to a hardware store and purchase some Bug Bombs.
They will take care of the spiders and every other kind of bug under there.
Its a good idea to Bug Bomb under your Mobile and the inside the Mobile at the same time, that way the bugs have nowhere to go except Heaven.
mopower440

Turns out it was some big ole crickets.; Just removed one of the foundation vents and shined a light in and they are still there but got a better look at them. Ive got one more tub drain that needs replacing but i dont know if i can get under there again. Really freaked me out..
Mark440

Mine was also crickets - as in hundreds and thousands of them, along with spiders. After i shot the DE under there - it wasn't long before they were all dead or gone - - - either of which is ok by me.
Opportunity has a shelf life.