floor register in bathroom problem

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

thatswhoiam

all of the a/c / heater registers in the house are connected, when i look down them with a mirror, there is a long duct running to the next register. except for the smaller bathroom .....this one came disconnected from the thing on the floor, it fell down. and it does not seem to be connected to all the other registers/ducts/boots. for one thing , all of the other registers are in a straight line through the house. the one in that bathroom is offset a bit and not in line with the others. that register/boot came undone and its sitting on the joists looking things at the bottom.

my question is, what is the deal with that? why is it made like that instead of like the others
Greg

Usually it's a case that the room that it goes to is off center on the main duct, such as a utility room near a back door or small bathroom. Possibly plumbing was in the way and they had to work around that.

In any case you need to get it reconnected or seal the ends off so you are not just dumping warm air into the belly.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
thatswhoiam

right, because thats where all the warm air is going.

does this duct feed off the straight run of duct ? I hate putting my hands down there to reach it. its quite scary down there
Greg

It should tie in to the main duct, Usually it will be at a 90* So if you figure where the main duct should be,it should be a straight run between the register and the main duct.

It may be easier to work from under the home, you will need to open the belly but you will have more room.

Greg
Mark440

Greg - to get the degree symbol....

ALT+0176
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

I have the whole list around here someplace!!

Greg
ponch37300

Our bathroom on the end of the house has an offset heat register. All our registers are in line except that one. It uses some 5" flex duct to get the air over to it.
thatswhoiam

I put a camera down this register into the duct and this is what it looks like on the ends......looks like whoever constructed the thing apparently wasn't too concerned about sealing it up, or even closing it. the other two registers at the ends of the house are the same. one of them even worse. . i can't believe I went all of these years with those big holes in the ducting, i can't imagine the energy that was wasted just blowing the conditioned air into the crawlspace.

ducts.png
I discovered this about 2 months ago and put some fiberglass insulation in a bag and stuffed it into the ends with peel and seal tape. i got so disgusted with it, that I stopped using the system altogether and just used my electric oven for heat. (which did a pretty good job with a fan blowing to the side of it forcing the warm air throughout the area. used a long floor heater (lasko) in the bedroom ($45 from lowes) and my electric bill was actually lower than its ever been in the winter months. approx $75 lower
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.