Shower drain help needed..

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mopower440

HouseMedic wrote:I can't really tell you what to do about the size difference but you should not really need anything on the top side between the drain flange and the shower base. the rubber gasket seals from the bottom so nothing can leak out. If you want to be a little safer you can use a little bit of clear silicon under the flange on the top section. The reason you don't want to use putty is that it is oil base and it will discolor the plastic. Same thing for stone sinks also. Never use putty or it will stain. The only other thing I can think of about the drain flange larger in size is that if you can't find one the same size maybe you could use a grinder to shave 1/8" off the flange all the way around it. I hope this helps some.

Also about the glue. They say "All Purpose" because they don't know what type of piping that you have. If it is all black abs then you can use abs glue but if it is connecting to white pvc then you need the all purpose glue because that can be used to connect abs to pvc. Both the abs or the pvc glues will not work with the other type pipe.

Ron
I could grind it but its going to look bad because im not going to be able to keep it perfectly round..
also, ive never heard of not using a gasket or putty or something between the top drain flange and the shower base..?
HouseMedic

You still use a gasket but it is under the shower pan. Like I said if you want you can put a little clear silicon under the flange if you like. I have installed at least four of these shower stalls this year and in the instructions that come with most it either say to leave plain or use some silicon. Here is a picture of what I mean. The rubber gasket goes against the bottom of the shower pan and then their should be a cardboard (slip washer) that goes on next and then your nut. The cardboard (slip washer) is just there to keep the nut from digging into the rubber gasket.
This is the link to see the full picture. http://www.onyxcollection.com/images/ac ... iagram.jpg
Your type will have threads on the bottom for the trap instead of a compression one like in the picture.
Ron

mopower440

keep in mind this is trailer stuff..i dont think it will seal like that..look back through the post and see what im using, its not like the drain you showed..
HouseMedic

mopower440 wrote:keep in mind this is trailer stuff..i dont think it will seal like that..look back through the post and see what im using, its not like the drain you showed..
I know yours has threads on the bottom part but they screw on to the base the same. That is why I mentioned it in the last sentence above. That is just the best picture that I could find to show you the gaskets. I have been doing this for over twenty years and I also have worked on many mobile homes including my own. Today with all the different materials that are out there you would be surprised at what you can not use plumbers putty on. As long as the rubber gasket is seated good on the bottom no water can get out. It goes down the drain. Also remember this is not pressurized so you still need a seal but it does not have to be as strong.
HouseMedic

On this one that you showed above you would put the drain assembly thru the shower pan then underneath you put the rubber gasket, then the metal gasket/retainer ring, then the smaller rubber gasket, the cardboard gasket then the nut.

mopower440

mine did not come with the smaller rubber gasket for the nut, so it could run down past the nut..
Steve-WA

"all-purpose" doesn't mean elmer's... There is an all-purpose plumbing glue. You need to talk to the plumbing guy @ the hardware store.