Incoming Water Temps

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hiskid1973

Back into m/h living with my 5k retirement special. It's surrounded by woods and a trout stream down the bank on two sides. I had 9 belly holes to repair and switched to pex while I was under there. I wrapped 3/4 in house wrap/plastic before the skirting was out on. I ran a switch and added a box extension so I can turn the heat tape on from inside. I also put an outdoor temp probe in the water meter casing. The coldest we got here in south central Pa has been in the 20's with a nw windchill. I noticed the lowest temp from the probe during that time was 48 degrees. I have an alarm set if the temp gets close to freezing so I can power up the heat tape. Any one else monitoring the temps down below ? I added water alarms in two spots of the belly and next year might put one at the meter. Thanks and God bless.
UmpJJ

I don't moniter the water temp under the trailer. As long as the belly wrap is intact and the skirting is sound (I have 2" insulated stuff) I don't even think about it. I plug in the heat tape December 1st and unplug it again at the end of February - it doesn't use much juice and my water run is only about 15' long from ground up into trailer. The water line from the well to under the trailer is buried 48" deep, so it won't freeze regardless of the outdoor temps.
The only time our water lines froze was when we were gone for a week at Christmas time, had the furnace turned way down, and the actual freezing took place in the bathroom pipes at the end of the trailer - pipes that couldn't have been wrapped with heat tape anyway.

UmpJJ