Building a new deck

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jben04564

We want to build a 5 x 8 covered deck by the front door of our mobile home,, to do this do we need a building permit or have it inspected? Or can we go ahead and build it ourselves?
We live in Beaufort SC
Norm Frechette

you can build it yourself but I believe youll need a building permit to ensure your deck is up to your towns building codes

check in to your towns building department for the proper permits

I checked with my towns building department for replacing the floor boards on my deck and I didn't need a permit for that. I would need a permit if I replaced all of the railings. railings need to be fabricated to code

Beaufort SC

http://www.cityofbeaufort.org/building-codes.aspx

regarding deck permits

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... Y-Max8seBA
Greg

It's always best to check with the codes officer BEFORE you start. It is much easier to find out that you don't need any permits before you start rather than find out you needed approved plans & permits AFTER you started. Most code officers are more than willing to help you with any questions.

Some areas require permits to paint, others will let you build a house with nothing.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

Like already mentioned just call the city inspector and ask what they want you to do. I've built a whole house for a guy with nothing more then a simple permit, meaning they just wanted to know what we were building and collect a check. Then a couple towns over I needed a permit to build a deck, permit and check and inspection. Each town/city/village is different. Most inspectors are willing to answer questions as to what you need to do it right. Some can be difficult but most are decent.
bondo

jben04564 wrote:We want to build a 5 x 8 covered deck by the front door of our mobile home,, to do this do we need a building permit or have it inspected? Or can we go ahead and build it ourselves?
We live in Beaufort SC
Usually if it's below a certain height, you don't need a permit or anything. That was the case for me anyways, I looked up the requirements beforehand and kept it below the maximum. Same thing with a shed here, if you keep it 10x12 or smaller, no permit.
JD
Site Admin

To get a permit you will need some type of plans. Usually simple "by hand" drawings are enough, provided you disclose the type of fasteners, wood and products being used. You can also use these links to come up with printed drawings. These drawings/plans will usually keep you within code in moderate climate areas. Parts of the Southeast US and high freeze areas may have additional requirements.

This site will just spit out a plan, no signing up, registering or any of that. https://deckplans.com/free-deck-plans The next link will take to to several free online deck design and plans sites that are more comprehensive, but require registration of your personal information. http://freebies.about.com/od/free-plans ... -plans.htm
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Mark440

While 5 x 8 isn't gigantic - it's still gonna cost a couple hundred bucks in materials. The deckplan sites will help you to better plan for the materials - and probably end up saving some money. From personal experience, the big box 'home' stores don't like lumber returns past a couple weeks. :roll:
Opportunity has a shelf life.