Oil or Oilless Air Compressor/Winterizing

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mark hansen

I winterized my Northern Wi. M.H. every year after Deer Season.
I have been doing this for last few years.
I blow out the waterlines and then pump in RV antifreeze.
This summer I had the M.H. plumbing redone with all Pex.
I saw an article about winterizing a M.H. and the guy said not to blow out the waterlines with anything except an oil free compressor as the oil will get in with the air and coat the piping/pex tubing, and that you can really never get it all out and it could leave a bad taste in the water.
The water with the old piping was not good at all and now that I have all brand new pex tubing the water quality is much better.
I don't want to do anything to change my water quality.
The M.H. is our vacation and hunting getaway so the water is not run everyday to keep the pipes flowing clean.
I put in a lot of money to pex the M.H. and the water is much better now ,I don't mind spending around $100.00 bucks to get an oiless compressor.
What do all of you think.
Thanks.
Greg

I suppose that on paper that is correct, but in practice I would not have a problem. I would drain the air tank first and see just how bad the compressor is. there should only be condensation (water) in the tank. Build the pressure up and open the drain, if only water drains out I would go with it. If there is oil mixed with it it may be time for a new compressor.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Norm Frechette

my brother used a shop vac to blow out the water lines in his mobile home he had in Maine. never a problem