Kitchen window

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Greg

Well as many of you know my luck seems to run a little less than great. A few weeks ago Sandy was outside washing the kitchen window. When she cam in she said "You better take a look at this" (NEVER a good thing to hear). This is what I found when I pulled the aluminum back.
IMG_8662.JPG
Of course my luck being as it is, the warranty expired about a year ago. So I switched from a Pella double hung to an Anderson casement window. The day that I started was a nice warm sunny morning with a chance of rain late in the afternoon (again keep in mind my luck). The new window is slightly larger than the old one so I had to open up the wall and reframe. Now this is USUALLY no big deal for me since I did all the windows in the place and was down to about 2 hours per window. Now for some reason in my head I had the rough opening sizes backwards. I cut all my framing lumber and started putting it in. Then the light came on, and the clouds started coming in. About this time my brother Dave called and asked how I was making out. I told him not real great, but I'm moving forward. He was on a fence job that the guy had changed around 4 times that day, so he told the guy he had to run here since I was open to the weather (And he had to get away before he killed the guy). I was just slipping the window in when he showed up. We managed to get the new one in just before the rain started.
IMG_8665.JPG
I didn't think there would be that much difference in light, but the two pictures tell it all.
IMG_8659.JPG
IMG_8663.JPG
Bottom line the wife is happy and the window shouldn't fall out this winter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
kailor

Nice work on the window, Greg. What is your availability for north Alabama? :D
Thanks!
Two 14x66's
Greg

Do you think I could fit it in after work? Or since it is a mobile home, just swing by!! :P :lol:

Greg
JeffInFL

Looks good!
Steve-WA

I like the interior trim - is that off the shelf from Lowe's or custom? Wood or something else? Stain & polyurethane? I always use mdf & high gloss white paint. It's more neutral, but I like yours
Greg

The molding is just stained off the shelf molding with gloss Poly. I have the bit to make my own, but I wanted a match for the rest of the windows, Plus it was quicker. The window jam extensions are made from "Select" (over priced) pine.

I have always had one rule when it comes to wood working, If it is worth making it look good, why hide the look of wood with paint? I just plain prefer the natural look of wood, It may have something to do with growing up around Antique Mahogany wood boats.

Greg