Weather strip under door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I had some rain come in under my front door during a recent rain storm, so I bought a weatherstrip at Home Depot. It mounts to the front side of the door, and has a rubber piece that keeps the water out. There is also a water deflector thingy that should help divert the water away from attempting to even get near the rubber piece.

I thought this was really going to be what I needed, but I learned the gap under my door is small enough that it won't easily accommodate this weather strip. I'm not sure what to do. I wish I knew the manufacturer of the door, and maybe I could find something designed to fit perfectly.

What do you guys do in this situation?

Thanks!
JD
Site Admin

The weather strip "Door Sweep" should work in conjunction with the Threshold. If your door is the original, there should be an aluminum bar (part of the door frame) with a rubber insert, on the floor. The door should close up against or on top of this, depending on how the threshold is designed to work. The one that has the rubber insert place directly below the door, when closed, work best. Either the brush type or rubber sweep should help to keep most rain water out. Sometimes the threshold can leak from the corners. If so, some silicone should be able to fix that. If there is no awning, porch cover or significant rain protection to the door, a hard driving rain might be difficult to stop.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
nestsman

As you can see from this close up photo, there is a little notch in the aluminum threshold. Is this where a rubber piece may have been one time in the past? I wish I was at my mobile home now, but I'm 4 hours away and trying to figure out what I need so I can get this fixed the next time I go up.

Thanks!

threshold.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1987Commodore

Do you have a storm door? I don't see one, so installing one may be a solution.
nestsman

A storm door is a good idea. Thank you.
HouseMedic

If that is the door in the picture you can replace the bottom strip on that door. It looks like someone already did at one time. It is a U shaped vinyl piece that you can also move a little closer to the bottom to make it hit and seal better. If you need a new one they are available at both of the big box stores. This is what I am talking about. http://www.lowes.com/pd_29408-81-06528_ ... facetInfo=

If this is what you already put on the door it might just need to be adjusted down a little tighter. It does not have to be pushed up against the bottom of the door, that is why the screw holes are slotted. The side with the screw holes goes on the inside of the house.

Ron