Gutters. Seamed or Seamless?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

opinion free

Hi All,

was going to install new gutters on the side of the house. It's a 10foot long section connected to a 20foot long section. It forms an 'L' shape.
Reading the reviews on the Home Depot site, has me all confused now.
I was going to use the plastic gutters. They said, no. Go with the metal. Not thrilled with that because I know I'll be cut to pieces with the metal. The site says, seamless is really the way to go.
The section I'm replacing is where the attached patio cover was, before it was ripped off the house in a storm.
Being it's a small section, would you guys go with getting the seamless done or should I go the "DIY" way with the metal seamed gutters? To be on the safe side, I just made an appointment for the seamless guys to come give me an estimate on Tuesday.
Thanks in advance.
Dave
Greg

Dave, you are a step ahead of me by getting an estimate. Hanging gutters is not as easy as it looks. The pitch has to be right and it has to be dead straight to look right.

I guess the bottom line is price & your confidence.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
UmpJJ

I just had a 54' straight run with downspouts on both ends put on my garage. The garage is old and the roof is not straight or level. I went with seamless and professional installers, and they did a GREAT job. $300 was a bit high on paper, but on the garage it was worth every penny.

UmpJJ
Last edited by UmpJJ on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opinion free

Hey guys,
I was able to get 2 phone quotes for the 10 foot by 20 foot long gutters connected by a corner piece to form an "L" shape. $650 and $360.
I'm sorry, that seems very expensive and decided to do it myself. You guys really think a level run of a 10 foot gutter connected to a 20 foot gutter with a corner piece is that hard a job? It's a straight run and I'm thinking it can't be that hard.
The guys that removed the patio cover installed a metal drip guard and put up some old gutter for me. The did it in a half hour and it seems to work.
Please, please tell me why you think it's a hard job, before I get started.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve-WA

It will leak. Spend the $. I'm a cheap-ass, but I spend the money for the gutter guy.
Mark440

I decided it couldn't be that hard to make a line - so i decided to do it myself. I popped a chalk line so that I had a reference point on the facia for the gutter hangers. Put all the plastic pieces together - and voila! looks great!

Then came the rains, some winter, and then the summer heat. It leaks, it drips, it looks like crap. Needless to say - I no longer have $220 worth of gutters hanging on my house..... Maybe i can paint them orange and use them for some Hot Wheels track for the kids??? :)
Opportunity has a shelf life.