Rotting Wood

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

opinion free

Hi All,
As you can see in the picture, I have some wood rot. This wood post makes up part of the structure that holds up the attached awning (the one that was torn off the mobile home back on 3/28/14).
I'm thinking of just refacing the posts with the same wood siding used on the exterior of my mobile home. It's the 1/4' thick (I think) wood textured exterior paneling that comes in 4 x 8 sheets.
My question: do they make a paste or putty that I can apply to the wood rot on the post before refacing it with the paneling? If not, anyone think using Rustoleum paint to seal up the rot is a good idea?
Thanks to all in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

There used to be a product called 'Get Rot" that was for wood boats. I have been away from boats for more years than I want to think about so I don't even know if it is still around.

I think that for the cost & effort required, it might be cheaper and faster to replace what you have.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
thatswhoiam

hell, it doesn't look like ya got much wood left. but from what i've gathered from everything i've read is, you have to sand down, or chop out all of the rotted parts, then cover with epoxy, allow to dry then sister in some wood to fit against the repaired wood. being that u dont have much to work with, and it would cost a fortune to epoxy, i would just replace it. also , wood rot can affect the new wood if all of it has not been properly abated.

i put borax and ethylene glycol ( a bit of each) in some cheap paint and paint all new pieces of wood, particularly the end pieces. this protects the wood from termites and wood rot. ethylene glycol is in prestone anti freeze and it is VERY TOXIC TO ANIMALS AND CHILDREN. DO NOT STORE OR SPILL ANY AMOUNT ON THE GROUND OR FLOOR WHERE THEY COULD POTENTIALLY GET TO IT. RAINWATER WILL CARRY IT TO ANOTHER LOCATION WHERE IT CAN BE INGESTED BY ANIMALS OR HUMANS
jimncheryl

Another newer product is West Systems Slow Penetrating Epoxy works great. Git Rot is still around and it to is excellent.
1987Commodore

Just replace the post. I wouldn't trust it to hold up with that much rot. It looks like it is fastened into a metal bracket at the bottom, and the wood doesn't go down into the concrete. A new post will likely cost less than the treatment.
Norm Frechette

why put a bandaid on something that really should be replaced?

ditto what 1987 said
opinion free

Thanks for all the responses. I agree with the whole replace it thinking. It's a 6 x 6 solid wood post. The rot is from the sun, not water. It is attached to the concrete with a bracket. I had to fix the post behind it (in the picture). They weigh a ton and try attaching it, holding it and screwing it into the bracket all alone. I had to do it 3 times, alone. I almost killed myself. Between the 105 temp outside, being in direct sun and the weight of the post, it was hell.

My thinking is just scrape the rot, put an epoxy on and resurface it with 1/4 inch exterior luann paneling. The post is still as strong as can be and realistically it isn't holding up any weight. This site and you guys make me want to do everything the "right way". Trust me, playing with posts that size alone, is very, very dangerous. When they fall and hit you, it hurts and causes damage.
I think when it's refaced with the paneling (it's the same paneling that's on the exterior of the house) it will look okay. Will it last forever, no. Neither will I, for that matter.
Norm Frechette

none of us can force you to do it right by replacing the entire pot.

i dont believe the sun was 100% responsible in creating the rot. since the post looks to be virtually on the ground, water would have wicked in from puddling water at the bottom of the post.

scraping out the rot might destroy the entire post. it looks like the rot affects 3 sides of the post. cant see what it looks on the back of the post.

take that photo and any others that you may have down to your local home depot, lowes or mom & pop lumber yard and tell them what your intentions are regarding the epoxy and have them provide you with a cost comparison.

i find it hard that you cant get a helper for about 1 hours work to help you out. isn't there a handyman/neighbor/relative/kid in your mobile home park that could help or even replace the post for you?