exhaust vent

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

thatswhoiam

there is an exhaust vent or pipe on the roof right above the air conditioner/heater of my home. do i need this if my heating/cooling system is all electric and not gas ? I'm wondering if i can remove this and seal the hole up. I dont use gas in my home for anything at all.
Greg

If it is good condition and not leaking, I would be tempted to just cap it and leave it. that way you have no holes to patch and an existing vent if you ever need to change furnaces.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
thatswhoiam

okay, so it isn't needed. i feel like im getting drafts from the thing
jpingram5

Stuff some insulation in it. Unless you want to make it a project, leave it be if it isn't leaking or a big inconvenience to you.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
1987Commodore

My home came equipped with a vent which went from the roof into the furnace blower cabinet. It was "supposed to supply fresh air to the home, since it was so well sealed." The vent was quickly sealed off, since we know that there are many other air leaks. It was totally removed years later during a re roof.
thatswhoiam

thanks for the answers. unbelievable how many over sized holes are knocked out for vents , wires, pipes, etc in a mobile home.
Steve S.

I have a rather large hole in my kitchen about halfway up through an exterior wall about 3 or 4" in diameter not near any of the kitchen appliances. There is no corresponding hole through the vinyl siding on the outside thankfully...not sure what this hole was for, and I'm unsure if it was done by factory or previous owner. Looks like for a stovepipe, but still makes no sense...since it is very close to a closet wall and is located where the hallway enters the kitchen. Just another place for cold air to enter...