Salvage Wet Insulation ?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

thatswhoiam

This from the owens corning website

When Fiberglas™ Insulation becomes wet with water, (i.e. rain and or supply water), it will temporarily lose a substantial measure of its thermal resistance (R-value). The spaces between the fibers that were previously occupied by air would then be occupied by water. Since water is a much better conductor of heat than air, the water’s presence causes the insulation to have reduced thermal performance. However, this is only a temporary situation. As soon as the water evaporates and the insulation becomes dry again, it will regain its original performance level. Because Fiberglas™ Insulation does not absorb water, the insulation fi bers will not be structurally altered or permanently affected in any other way.
If the Fiberglas™ Insulation is damaged by the force or weight of the water, it may require
replacement. Repair the source of the water damage prior to replacing the fiberglas™ insulation.

If the insulation has been saturated with dirty or potentially contaminated water, we would
recommend it be replaced. The reason for this is that when the contaminated water evaporates, the deposits of these foreign materials, which remain, may decrease the R-value, and may also give mold and or mildew nourishment and a place to propagate.

This growth, and or, odor may also be transferred to other building materials. If the condition or
contamination of the water is unknown, Owens Corning recommends replacement of the wet
insulation.

http://www2.owenscorning.com/literature ... lletin.pdf
Greg

So if I am reading this correctly, Unless the insulation has been soaked by clean, pure water with NO contaminants replace it.

Isn't that what we have been recommending for here for years? Nice to know we got it right!!!

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

The problem is even if the insulation is soaked with "clean" water it needs to dry out to avoid mold. This means taking off the drywall or opening up whatever cavity the insulation is in right away. A lot of the time you don't find the leak right away. Or don't get it dried out right away. So the insulation may get back it's insulating quality but the air quality may have been compromised. Usually when I'm dealing with insulation that got wet I'm opening up a wall or something so replacing a few pieces of insulation is minimal work/cost and I just do it.
thatswhoiam

Don't think i would feel comfortable re using insulation in places where it counts. BUT, i maybe wouldn't mind using it to insulate my skirting (under crawlspace).thinking i may : glue the insulation to some flattened carboard boxes and wrap in 4 mil plastic and put them against the inside of the skirting. I wanted to do this throughout the perimeter of the home, but that would be very expensive, and since it isn't something thats necessary , i may try it with the old insulation. that's if it doesn't disgust me when i rinse it. and it probably will. :lol: