Adding Microwave Over Stove?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

StanD

Has anyone cut out a slot in the cabinets and added a microwave over the stove?
Pictures?
We'd like to pull the range hood and add a microwave to free up counter space.

Related:
If we were to tile the back splash, would you recommend before or after the microwave install?

TIA
Greg

We didn't cut cabinets, when we remodeled the kitchen I installed cabinets with enough room to allow for a microwave.
I would do all the rough in first then tile.

Greg
IMG_6977.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
StanD

Didn't think about replacing the cabinets. We'll have to look into that.
jimncheryl

We removed the range hood and added a microwave in that space. The only problem I had was
the bottom of the cabinets are spray painted drywall yes drywall had to pull and replace with oak plywood, took longer to drive to lumber yard then to replace the drywall. Now I know why Karsten is no longer in business.
Norm Frechette

StanD wrote:Has anyone cut out a slot in the cabinets and added a microwave over the stove?
Pictures?
We'd like to pull the range hood and add a microwave to free up counter space.

Related:
If we were to tile the back splash, would you recommend before or after the microwave install?

TIA
my house had the microwave already built in. might want to replace the cabinet as others have advised.

i tiled my backsplash right up to the bottom of the microwave. too much work to take it down and why pay for more tiles than were actually needed. i also only tiled down to counter top height