Exterior Door Lock Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Jax

I just replaced my exterior door, and decided to replace the door locks at the same time. I just finished installing the new door knob, and low and behold the exterior side of the knob won't turn. It's like it's constantly locked. The interior part of the knob turns just fine. The key unlocks the door, but the only way to open the door from the outside is to turn the key and push, the exterior knob just will not turn! Is this normal for new exterior knobs? Of course it's also too dark outside now to keep playing around with it. Thought maybe someone here might have some insight...
mh_doni49

As far as your question "is this normal for new locks" goes, I can tell you that neither of the two new locks I installed last year did that.

Try reinstalling it again when you have more light to work by.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
HouseMedic

There are some commercial locks that work that way but it sounds to me like you have something not lined up right. I would take the lock back out and put the two halves together and see if they both turn while not being in the door.

Ron
Greg

Something is not right. As Ron said, Take it apart and make sure everything is lined up. If there is still a problem take it back to where you bought it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jax

It was the lock itself. Took it back and they exchanged it with no problem. New lock installed and it works like a charm! Thanks everyone for your input.