gas water heater leaking?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cat_mobile

Hello.
I am having a water heater dilemma and was wondering if anyone could please provide some input!

A few days ago, I stepped on very wet carpet in my closet and discovered that the water heater that is located in the back was leaking from the bottom.
We called the repairman today and he said that the water heater needed replacing, so we just had it replaced. The old one was used for about 10 years.

It was all great until a few minutes after he leaves, when the new one starts leaking, too!! The office to this place was closed by then...so I will have to wait until tomorrow to have someone come again to have it checked.
I give major credit to this repairman because he worked really hard, but you can probably imagine how disappointing it is to see the problem persisting...especially after spending so much money in hopes of getting it fixed.

The new one is leaking from what seems to be the hot water outlet that runs to the bottom of our house (as seen on the picture)

Is there anything that can be done in the meantime to stop this leak?
Is it possible that there might be something going on with the pipes that is attached to this hot water outlet that runs beneath it, or am I over thinking it?
Any other inputs regarding this would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you so much in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jpingram5

That's a solder free coupling. You can try pushing it together with the CPVC pipe there to make sure it is on all the way. The pipe has to slide in that fitting deep enough for a proper seal. He could have also damage the o-ring seal inside that fitting too. Which in that case will need a new one.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
mh_doni49

That looks like a sharkbite fitting.

As JP said, the pipe might just need shoved in further. Hopefully the white pipe has enough slack below the floor that you can pull it up enough to push it in further.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
cat_mobile

than you for your answers.
The guy came in today and fixed the pipe, thankfully.
Greg

...And that is the very reason I personally do not trust the push lock type connectors. Had that been in a wall you could have major problems before you even saw them.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

I will second Greg's dislike of push lock(sharkbite style) connectors. I also have never seen a licensed plumber use them. First of all the are way more expensive then crimp on fittings. I have also never had a crimp on fitting, either a ring or cinch ear type leak. Just not worth the chance in my opinion.
jpingram5

As much as I love these Sharkbite fittings I would agree that I would feel funny about putting them in a location that does not have easy access. The longest lasting ones I put on are about 6 years old that I used for my wife's parents shower. Granted they have access panel behind the shower. I even used them for my tankless water heater install but I have easy access to all them as the pipes are exposed.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80