Server Upgrade

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ebinfo
Site Admin

Just a quick announcement. Somewhere this weekend i'll be performing a server upgrade, which is migrating the website to a more powerful machine. while the process happens, the website will be taken offline so that data can be mirrored from the old server to the new one.

just to give you a small heads up :)
Mark
Site Admin

Any idea how long the site will be down when you do it? Are you looking at later tonight for a time? I'm doing some forum upgrades now, so maybe e-mail me quick just before we go offline.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
ebinfo
Site Admin

right now it's 11:16pm my time. i am considering doing that maybe at around 1am or something my time
Mark
Site Admin

Last night I was up til 4am, so holler when you get ready to start and I'll get out of the way.

Say, do we have the php gd extension installed? Doing a mod that asks for that. I can't remember how to find the list of php extensions that are installed.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
ebinfo
Site Admin

yes. GD is installed. as of finding the information for installed extensions, just hit the phpinfo.php file from the root directory of the website and that should give you what you are looking for.
ebinfo
Site Admin

GD is also going to be installed on the new server :)
ebinfo
Site Admin

another scheduled downtime will be occuring tonight at around midnight to 1 am my time. i do not expect the downtime to be much longer than one hour or something close to that, just to let you guys know :)
PennylessZ28

Mark wrote:
Say, do we have the php gd extension installed? Doing a mod that asks for that. I can't remember how to find the list of php extensions that are installed.

Mark
Next time you want to know if something is installed on your server, create a file called phpinfo.php in wordpad.

Insert this text

Code: Select all

<?php

phpinfo();

?> 
Save and upload then view. It will tell you everything loaded.

:D
ebinfo
Site Admin

i had already that file created and mentioned it :)
PennylessZ28

Sorry, I can't read. lol
ebinfo
Site Admin

had to pospone site move on the new server as i had to upgrade mysql in the process, i did that to day, so hopefully tonight is the big move, so if you see the website go down, you know why :)
Yanita

Thanks for the heads up...

Hey while you guys are upgrading is there any fix in the works for the new friends pending/MPS link?

On a side note, whatever you have done in the registration area has reduced the spam, nothing for almost a week....

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
ebinfo
Site Admin

since yesterday didn't happen due to a quick hospital lift, tonight i am going to finalize server transfer, so at around 10, 10:20 pm my time i;ll hit the switch off again, sorry for all them scheduled-but-never-happening ones :S
Yanita

Hey Steve,

Hope everything is alright!

Just wanted to add that I got an email about the site running slowly, has anyone else mentioned this problem? I forwarded the email to Mark.

I thought it might be my PC as the kid has been using it, but I to have had problems with the site being really slow???

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
ebinfo
Site Admin

this is correct, as the server was packing files and exporting to the new one, it's not totally done thou. so tomorrow will be another one to finalize it. i have to stop that once in a whil so that in the day there is no downtime for the sites.

so tomorrow will - hopefully - be the final reset of that thing.