Need to paint non-paintable caulk

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I ran a strip of caulking where the walls meet the ceiling, all throughout the house. When I started painting the walls, it did not adhere to the caulk like it did when I painted the exterior of the home. Perhaps the two paints are very different. Needless to say, it doesn't look pretty. I guess I should have read the directions first to verify the caulk could be painted. What should I do now? Maybe there is a special primer that will stick to the caulk? After that dries I could paint the affected area with the paint I have chosen for the walls.

Thoughts?
HouseMedic

If it was OK outside did you use the same caulk as the inside? If so didyou maybe use an oil based paint outside? If you did use a oil based paint outside and it covered OK then I would try painting just the caulked area inside with the oil based paint and then after about three days of good dying try using the interior paint over that. At most you might have to ruff up the oil based paint first with a light sandpaper just to take the shine away so the new paint sticks to the oil based paint. I hope this helps. Other then this the caulk either has to come out and replaced or cover it with paintable caulk.

Ron
JeffInFL

was it silicon caulk? You can try rubbing the caulk (that sounds dirty!) with denatured alcohol and see if that helps:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/qa/qapaintcaulk.html

Aside from removing and recaulking, maybe just put a paintable caulk over the non-paintable stuff?
Norm Frechette

JD
Site Admin

Denatured alcohol... snicker. If this is silicone, which I am thinking it is, nothing sticks to silicone. Not even silicone will stick to silicone. Your best bet is to remove it. They make a tool just for this and it works OK. Then reapply painters caulk. Have you tried a caulk tool before? You can achieve a very nice bead and make it just slightly larger than the silicone bead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.