Putting down engineered floor on uneven floor and humid spce

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

hotrod53

I have a camp in the mountains and I'm starting to think about a new kitchen floor. The camp has a dehumidifier running all winter and it's not heated in the winter. My vinyl floor is loose and unglued and we had some floor patches done which required the vinyl to be cut in a few spots.

I was thinking about an engineered floor, nothing fancy, assuming that it may be pretty easy to do. The problems are as shown above plus the floor is slightly uneven as it gets close to the wall, it has always been that way. This is a Champion mobile home and it has chipboard floors, not plywood. What do you suggest given the conditions mentioned above. Can I put an engineered floor in, will humidity and not heating in the winter be an issue?
Greg

I would question why the subfloor has gotten wavy. If you have leakage coming through the outside walls, that needs to be addressed first. If laminate is put down correctly the cold should not bother it. I find it strange that you need a dehu running in the winter, usually winter brings a lack of humidity problem.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
hotrod53

The dip in the floor was there when I purchased the home used. The camp is in the woods on a dirt road with lots of trees tall pines around it, the sun doesn't always hit the home causing dampness. I only run the dehumidifier June-October. In the winter it is common to have snow piled up against the back of the home and I'm not there to shovel it away. We do have heavy plastic on the ground but humidity is just nature of the beast.
gtpvette

You might want to take a look at this product by USFloors - CORETEC. This is what we're going to install in our new place.

http://www.usfloorsllc.com/products/coretec-plus/

It's a vinyl product but more like a laminate as it looks like and installs like a laminate . Two things we like is it's waterproof and no expansion/contraction,, which should address the issues you have. I put a sample in a bucket of water for two days,,, no probelm. It's expensive at $3.50 a foot but we think it be long lasting, easy to install and waterproof. '