Water heater filling through hot out?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

willia

So, after previous issues with my water heater (which people on here were very helpful with), I have been paying better attention to maintenance this time around. And of course, I've got another issue.

For the sake of brevity the problem is this: the pipe where the hot water comes out is also refilling the tank. I discovered this completely by accident when the main water was on and both the water in and hot out lines were disconnected. Nothing came out of the water in. I have a side mounting electric water heater and the pipes for hot and cold are separate.

I'm thinking this isn't supposed to happen. :? If it is, please let me know. If not, how could it be happening and what do I do to make it stop? At this point, I'm fondly remembering renting. :)
Greg

There are a few possibilities. It is possible that the tank is hooked up backwards, it is possible that you had hot water draining from other faucets.

Your bet bet is to follow the line that feeds the tank, It should come from main line coming into the home. As long as you have it apart you could add ball (1/4 turn) valves on BOTH lines to the tank.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
willia

Thanks for such a quick answer. It's dark here, so I'm going to have to follow those lines later. The other one (that already has a shut off) has a tee joint on it right beneath the flooring. The one the water is still coming out of is just straight up and down. I'm going to end up adding a shut off to it as well, just to have the option. Thanks again for the recommendations
ponch37300

Just to be clear, if both the cold in and hot out are disconnected from the water heater and you turn the main water on then water comes out the "hot output" line? And nothing comes out of the cold input line? If this is what is happening then whoever hooked it up plumbed the lines backwards. If both lines are disconnected from the water heater and you turn the water on then water should come out the cold supply line. You may have a dribble come out of the hot line but in most mobile homes the hot water line goes back down into the floor so it won't drain much back towards the water heater when disconnected.

Like Greg mentioned now would be a great time to put a valve on both the cold in and hot out lines at the water heater.