insulating osb board underpinning

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jimncheryl

Again no one said it was water proof.
I guess your definition of quickly depends on what your definition of is is.
ponch37300

You're correct in that nobody said OSB is waterproof. But you did state that "OSB is resistant to moisture damage" and that really isn't true. OSB will hold up better to moisture then particle board but OSB is not resistant to moisture damage. OSB will be damaged by moisture, I've seen it a million times. Only the adhesive in OSB is moisture resistant. But OSB is still not rated to be in contact with moisture of any amount. I just don't want others reading this to see your statement that "OSB is resistant to moisture damage" and think it's alright to use OSB around moisture and have problems.
JD
Site Admin

People ultimately decide what to use on their homes based on finances and information available. This does not change the fact that OSB would be a bad choice for MH skirting. An inexpensive wood product for skirting would be Smart Panel siding which is an exterior product. In order for Smartside to last, it would need to be well painted, both side preferably, and that paint well maintained. It should not be used within 4" of the ground. You could install a baseboard trim to keep the skirting away from the ground and then replace the trim only when it starts to rot. MH Skirting is something the industry has worked with for many years. There is no magic bullet. Vinyl skirting has it's pluses and minuses. As a purchased-installed product, it is the industry favorite. Wood products will appeal to DYI because it would be lower in material cost.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mh_doni49

Regarding the suggestion of using a baseboard trim and then just replacing it when it rots:

They have a PVC product that you use just like wood that would work well for this purpose and you wouldn't have to worry about it rotting.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
JD
Site Admin

That probably would be a better bottom trim, Don. My main problem with all wood skirting and some of the faux brick/stone stuff is that it needs framing. With 2x going from the rim joist to the ground, there is no room for ground movement, roots or frost heave. This solid connection can create damage to your home. But this is mostly a factor for older homes without edge piers. Skirting that is made to be able to float, without a direct connection to the home is the better choice.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mh_doni49

JD wrote:That probably would be a better bottom trim, Don. My main problem with all wood skirting and some of the faux brick/stone stuff is that it needs framing. With 2x going from the rim joist to the ground, there is no room for ground movement, roots or frost heave. This solid connection can create damage to your home. But this is mostly a factor for older homes without edge piers. Skirting that is made to be able to float, without a direct connection to the home is the better choice.
Which is why I would suggest NOT going all the way from the home to the ground. Stop an inch or two above ground. But behind those panels (but installed first of course) would be the trim piece that IS attached to the ground. The two parts could rub up against each other (put some weather stripping between them) to ensure a seal. But they'd move independently.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
Steve-WA

Yet, no one is addressing this guy's issue. He isn't going to replace his skirt, he wants to insulate. I recommend foam board with screws & washers. Or fiberglas batts & spray glue. Somebody even told me once about hay bales end-to-end against the skirt on the inside.
Greg

Hay bales? Can you say fire hazard?

Stay with foam if you can, dampness does not effect it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."