Painting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mo1875898370

paint.JPG
There is a lot of great advice on painting here and elsewhere, which I need to reread.

When we finish (a list that as always keeps growing) some initial repairs and updates in the 1992 doublewide we purchased in May (and when budget allows), we want to repaint. Nothing wrong with the current paint - the previous owner repainted just before she put it in the market and after moving out, and it sold very quickly - but the colors aren't to our taste. I imagine she paid someone to do it quickly with cheap paint; you can see paint where it shouldn't be and some peeling in a few spots if you look closely. Reasonable on her part. As you can see in the picture, the paint looks like it is on top of wallpapered panels.

I know a bad paint job can peel and crack, so I don't want to put my good paint job on top of a problem. I am not going to want to change paint colors in a couple of years and if all is well, wouldn't be likely to repaint until there was a problem. Suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponch37300

It's hard to tell from you picture but you said the just painted over the wall paper and is that the wall paper above the window? Did the paint peel off of that area? If so you are going to continue to have problems with paint peeling because they didn't prep the area right and used a cheap paint. If that is what is going on it also doesn't look like they used a primer either.

One thing I can't stand is cheap paint and paint jobs. I've said it a bunch but go to a real paint store like sherwin williams. They have people that are pretty knowledgeable and will be able to help you decide your best option, bring in some pictures. They also sell a better paint then the box stores and once you use it you won't ever buy paint from a box store again. They also have sales all the time. Right now they have a 35% off sale going until tomorrow.
Mo1875898370

The wallpaper is above the window. We removed a board from there that had been painted around. The peeling isn't THAT bad :) but I think it was not a good prep job either.
Mo1875898370

So how can I deal with the old, bad paint job? Tips for removal?
ponch37300

I'm honestly not sure what I would do in that situation. The problem is that even if you cover up the bad paint job with a good one the bad layer can still peel and pop like you are seeing. Do you have a paint store local to you? If so bring in some pictures and talk to them and see if they have some suggestion. And by paint store I don't mean a home depot or lowes, an actual paint store. They should be able to give you some advice.

One thing I might try is just take a paint scrapper and start scrapping and see how much actually comes off. Might be able to get most of the loose stuff off and then a sanding and new primer and then paint.
crackur

just paint over......oil paint.
Mark440

You could sand down the entire room....but that is a bit impractical.

For the areas you can see - light sand the area especially at the paint edge. If you begin manually peeling - there's no telling where it will end. Spray the area with regular Kilz - and let it dry.

When I was a painting contractor up in Denver, my preference in paint is Benjamin Moore. The stuff is like yogurt! However, when I painted my DW, I couldn't find a Bennie Moor store anywhere near - so I resorted to HD. I used the Behr brand.

My walls also had the silly wallpaper texture type stuff. I used a heavy nap genuine sheepskin roller - and it has held up well for 10+ years now.

Pointers:
Wipe the walls down before you start painting - and let the fully dry. TSP works great to remove airborne oils from cooking, smoke, finger/hand oils, etc.

Unless you really like that gloss look - use flat latex paint (except bathrooms, etc). Being the wall paper is not porous - even eggshell looks like semi-gloss.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
AbbottsManor

The areas above and below most of my windows are a mess with 1-3 strips to cover the crappy hatchet job they must have done installing the windows at the factory. My plan is to use the thinnest formica I can find, priming and painting it to cover the mess. I don't want to do a traditional patch job because it will just crack open eventually as my house is on clay and goes through a slow motion roller coaster ride each year from frost heave.