CPVC PIPE

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

FLIENLOW

I have a bunch of Underbelly,walls, and floors open on my Project. I had to fix a leaky shower pipe, and replace the flooring where the Hot Water tank was. Most of the pipe is 1996 CPVC pipe. While I dont want to create more work for myself, would it be wise to replace it? I think a lot of it is getting pretty brittle, but I am no expert. If so, with what? I cannot get to all of it but was thinking of replacing the stuff I can get to. I have CPVC coming through the floor for the Toilets, Shower Plumbing, and Hot water tank.
Any advice from the old salts on this would be appreciated!
bobfather99

You can replace your CPVC with pex lines, and use sharkbite connections to connect the different types of pipe together.
Tip your bartender.....
FLIENLOW

Can I just drill a hole in the floor and run the new PEX through to the hot water tank? Toilet? Is that code?? It's probably a stupid question, as that is what they did with the CPVC, but I like to do things properly and just want to make sure.
1987Commodore

As long as it is open, I'd replace everything with PEX. It will expand instead of crack if it freezes. Yes, just drill through the floor, but seal the opening around the pipe to prevent air and varmint infiltration.
ponch37300

Pex is great stuff. And it's fairly cheap. If you're going to be working a lot with it then make the investment into the pex crimper. You could use sharkbite fittings but they are expensive and add up quick.
1987Commodore

Yes, cost wise either the crimp clamps or cinch clamps will be cheaper than the sharkbites.
Greg

1987Commodore wrote:Yes, cost wise either the crimp clamps or cinch clamps will be cheaper than the sharkbites.
And in my opinion more reliable.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."