Fixing dryer vent hole before new flooring

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

Later this summer I plan on getting new vinyl flooring throughout the entire home. But I need to somehow address this hole in the floor which was used for the dryer vent. I have no idea how the former owner used this hole. Maybe he just stuck the dryer vent tube right down the hole and had it dandling in the air. I'm thinking it would be better to have some sort of metal or PVC fitting attached to the wood floor that the dryer vent hose could hook onto. Then, below the home, it could be properly vented through the skirting. Has anyone run into this situation before? If you have any photos of how you addressed it, I would love to see.

Thanks!
vent.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nestsman on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987Commodore

That looks just like mine. The hole is factory. I have the vent tube going down through the hole and to a vent flap mounted in the skirting.
You could plug the hole and run the vent straight out the side wall, or you could use regular vent pipe rather than the flexible tube.
Norm Frechette

or

just screw it onto the floor

Greg

If you can go through the wall, I would go that route. The less bends & shorter run the better.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
nestsman

Norm Frechette wrote:or just screw it onto the floor
I think this piece of hardware is kind of what I had in mind. Where can I buy one of these white plastic pieces Norm?

Thanks!
Mark440

My dryer venting went from a couple feet shy of the marriage seam all the way to an outside wall. And for reasons unknown to me, the compressor unit for the AC was set right in front of the dryer vent outlet. Needless to say, the coils on that side of the compressor unit were caked with lint from the dryer.

I'm not sure of the size - it was either 3" or 4" - but I used a standard PVC flange mount over a piece of pvc. The fit is incredibly tight...and I glued it just to be sure. I left about 4 inches of pipe above the floor - and about 24" to the other side. I poked a small hole in the belly and then stretched the liner so that it was sealed pretty tight against the pvc pipe. I taped the belly to the pipe and then added a circular screw-adjust clamp to secure it all. I added a 45° elbow, a short straight piece and then another 45° elbow to route the exhaust out under my decking and completely away from the AC unit.
Opportunity has a shelf life.