Replace Window With Door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

oldSarge

Some time before we bought our manufactured home I asked a question about making modifications to the home on a forum that I cannot find again. I asked about replacing an existing window with either a sliding glass or French door unit. One of the responses said that if I did this even if I obtained permits and had a certified craftsman perform the work I would never be able to sell the home again except to a cash buyer because no mortgage company and especially FHA backed loan would approve a purchasers loan application.

Is there any validity to this statement?

Thanks.
1987Commodore

I don't know about the mortgage issue, but lots of homes came from the factory with patio doors. As long as it was done to code, I can't see a problem.
Greg

Well, I can say that statement was never made here. I can see no reason that a mortgage company would have a problem with it. Something like that would most likely ADD value to the home, But as Commodore said make sure it is done within code requirements.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

The ONLY time I have ever heard of not being able to get a home loan on a mobile home or stick built home was when there was work done without permits or not up to code and found during the inspection.
oldSarge

I thought that was kind of fishy but the guy claimed to be a mortgage writer. I'll see if I can find the place I heard this and get back.

This upgrade is likely year(s) in the future but I just wanted to know what the concensus was.

Thanks for the replies.
JD
Site Admin

I totally agree with Greg and Ponch. From my personal experience, being the contractor involved with many homes going up for sale, I doubt that a bank's home inspector would look twice at an added door unless he had reason to believe it was not up to code or unsafe in some way. Many times I have seen them ding "not so important" things, like a soft spot on a 40 year old home's floor and overlook major issues like an illegal roof.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.