Windows

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

GraceNC

I've read posts where many of you have used regular windows with no problem. A few of you have mentioned as long as you are not using large picture windows.....

Why is that?

I've gutted (everything to the exterior studs- left the subfloor and siding but have removed ALL electrical/plumbing, etc) and plan to remove the 1960s windows, too.

In the front (so close to the busy street) I plan to close off some of those windows with siding but in the rear facing my woods and acerage I want to open it up with windows- lots and lots of windows- but I was considering those big picture windows or bay windows. Is it the weight that's the problem? Or is it the home shifts?

What are my options?
Use multiple/side by side smaller windows and do a wall of windows? or I even though about side by side patio doors- might look a little silly though - but you get what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks for your tips and advice.
1987Commodore

My opinion is that a large, single fixed picture window may be susceptible to breakage by the flexing of the home. The patio doors may work well, as there is some flexibility built into them because they are designed to open. They should look fine. My BIL used multiple patio doors to enclose his porch.
Greg

I think you should be fine with a larger window as long as you use parameter blocking under the window.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."