Epic Fail - need advice - metal roof - leak at screw

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

GraceNC

Did the metal roof about 4 to 5 years ago. It has withstood the test of time so far and even a tornado directly over the home.

However- I did something wrong- the neoprene screws- I think I did them too tight, or not tight enough as I've noticed they (some of them) are starting to leak.

I've taken down the entire ceiling inside the home- the ENTIRE ceiling to expose the bare metal from the manufacturer on the inside- removed all insulation.

Glad I did because, as I have found- back in the 1960's they did NOT install a vapor barrier.

So before I get to that-

I've been reading the too tight/not tight enough on a metal roof is not uncommon. Many suggest a redo of the screws with a larger screw AND a a sealant
NOT silicone.

Anyone know the best?
polyurithane?
butyl rubber?
asphault?

Any ideas?
Greg

Either Butyl rubber or polyurethane.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Yes, Butyl or polyurethane. I use Tremco - Vulkem 116. Use an ample dollop and it will last 12-15 years at least. The surface must be thoroughly clean. I use lacquer thinner, a brush and lot's of clean rags.

Loose screws leak because the rain get's underneath the screw head, simple enough. Tight or even just right screws will leak over time due to expansion and contraction, as well as pressure caused by extreme storms. If you look closely, you will find fractures in the metal leading out from the screws. Also, the soft grommets can get mashed out or dried out.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
RiverGirl

Thanks for posting this. I have the same problem. Previous owners put a new metal roof on about 6-8 years ago after a tree fell on that part of the trailer. I climbed up there to sweep off all the leaf buildup, and started a leak. Quick repair of just squirting silicone on each screw stopped the leaks for now. Have been talking to a roofer about removing all the screws and replacing them. He says the rubber ring starts getting brittle after a few years, and any "roof guarantee" doesn't generally cover the dried out gasket. He also showed me how the screw can be "up in the air" if the person doesn't know to screw down, back it out a bit, then rescrew. Said if they screwed it in wrong, my walking around could have pushed the metal down the screw and exposed a tiny gap between the roof and the rubber gasket. Also want to take some panels off the roof where the leaks were to see if anything started mildewing. He also says some contractors don't put a vapor barrier in, and they skimp on insulation, so may need to remove the entire roof to really fix the problem. Thanks for the Tremco recommendation, I was just thinking he needed to put new screws in, but I will make sure sealer goes down too.
thatswhoiam

dipping the screw in sealant is good. covering the entire roof edge with peel and seal does a good job of keeping water away from the screws..... alternatively you could use very small pieces of the peel and seal and individually cover each one.

put the stuff on right and nothing gets past it.