Does anyone know what this trim piece is called?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mh_doni49

Does anyone know what this is called? And do you know how I would go about replacing it? It's got several dents and in a few places, it is so bent out of shape, it won't attach to the house correctly.

It's a horizontal trim piece that covers the overlap between the two colors of siding.
MHTrim.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
Greg

I think is just one of pieces that is called a "Trim piece". If you can rent a brake you can bend your own. All you will need is some coil stock, but you will probably never match the color so you will need to do at least one side.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mh_doni49

Thanks. But I don't think it could be replicated with a brake. It's got too wavy of a profile.

I guess I could replace it all with straight/flat trim pieces though.

As to the color issue: not a concern. I'm planning to paint the place a completely different color scheme anyway. Right now, I'm looking to make repairs to the siding/trim as needed before that.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
Greg

That was also the reason I figured you would need to do the whole side. I just did the bottom piece on ours. If you make one yourself make a few short 6-12" sections first to get the right shape without wasting material.

Greg
Norm Frechette

why not remove it in its entirety and replace it with some kind of vinyl or wooden molding?

maybe a 1x2 or 1x3 or similar.
Greg

The trim also acts as flashing to keep rain from getting behind the bottom section of siding.

Greg
JD
Site Admin

You can also take a sample of your trim to a hvac duct company. They can do a great job of replacing it. Even wood grain embossed aluminum is available. It would be a lot cheaper to forgo the design work and make something plain and flat that would work as Z-bar trim.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mh_doni49

Thanks JD. I never even thought of that. I did have a local HVAC Co fabricate a panel to cover my furnace compartment. I bet they'd do this for me.

Greg: the beige color panel overlaps the brown panel below. The trim piece in question hides the seam. Water easily goes behind the trim so it's not flashing in this case.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)