Ceiling insulation question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Pafrmboy

Hi everybody.... I have a ceiling/attic insulation question. My vacation home is in PA, so it does get cold. I have shingled roof with ridge vent and 2 large gable opening vents.

The ceiling has R19 with a 4/12 roof. I was thinking of blowing in added fiberglass to fill gaps and add up to R25.

My questions, I can get into the gable vents, front and back and maybe into a large bathroom vet fan, but how can I reach the full length of the home?

Also, what about clearances from furnace piping that goes through the roof?

Is this even worth doing? Maybe just doing the front and rear as far as I can reach is all I can do.

Thanks!! Todd
1987Commodore

Do you have a cathedral ceiling in the middle? If so, It is probably packed full anyhow, and there will be no access to it. There may be access to the flue area inside the furnace enclosure.
Pafrmboy

No, the home has a flat 7.5 foot ceiling through out the house. I can see from the front gable vent to the back gable vent.
1987Commodore

Be careful not to block any soffit vents -- if there are any. I have no experience with blowers, but I think there may be an extension handle to allow reaching farther. Also, look at any openings in the floor -- around water and drain pipes, etc. You will find that they are large openings that will let in a lot of cold airflow. If you can seal them up with some expanding foam, it will help reduce air flow through the home.
Pafrmboy

It appears that there are no soffit vents. Just ridge and gable. I guess I could try to add what I could , a few inches anyway. At least fill in the gaps.

Todd
ponch37300

How big are your gable vents? It would be some work but you could use PVC pipe to make a ridgid extension for the blown insulation. Stick it in from each end and move back and forth as you pull it back out.
Pafrmboy

I'd say they are about 12" X12". I would like to maybe make them bigger anyway.

Todd