Stuck shut offs

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

stevieb

Time to replace the original washer and dishwasher in Aunties 1983 Burlington. The home has all copper water lines and regualar shut offs meaning a cast knob on a brass valve stem. I cannot budge these to turn the water off to replace hoses and machines. I don't want to force anything or grip the knob with a tool and have it break. Auntie suggested spraying the stems with wd40 and wait. Than use vise grips on the stem to gently turn it off. Sound like a good idea?? Will the wd40 eat the washer inside away? If I can, I prefer to stay away from the whole house sut off.
Also the water line to the dishwasher is rigid copper. I have not moved the machine out yet but it seems the line must be flexible at some point behind the machine?
Thanks for your help!
Greg

Well WD40 may work this time, but the next....??? I think I would shut the whole house down and start replacing valves. Yes I know, major pain but if something blows and you need water off in a hurry you may be in trouble. better to plan ahead. Replace them with stainless 1/4 turn ball valves that way you won't have problems down the road.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."