Squeak!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

Hi all....

We are currently trying to sell our house, a 1994 Skyline, and twice now the comment has been made about squeaking floors. There is one area from the kitchen to the dining room that squeaks, and another before the master bedroom. It's not as if the floor sinks, or feels soft, just a little squeak. Is this dangerous?

I guess I haven't given it much concern, since my grandmother had a stick built from the 40's, on a slab, that squeaked in certain areas. I just thought old wood, depending on how it cures, can do that. I'm not willing to rip out floors prior to selling, I will lower the price if this is a structure concern, but I'm not sure it is.

We live in a high desert area, with a vast range in temps, well below zero, to 115 in the summer, very dry and WINDY. Would this be something to naturally expect? Thoughts?
Greg S

Squeaking is caused by loose floor boards and is not a safety issue. If you have a prospective buyer coming sprinkle some baby powder in the area of the squeak and work it in. With luck it will stop the squeak.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
1987Commodore

Most likely not a problem. I have a squeak in the doorway to the bedroom that has been there since it was new in 1987. It is under the vinyl flooring, so not going to touch it.
LisaBoyer

Thank you!

It's been awhile since we have sold a home, I had forgotten what it was like dealing with people. They want a new home, at a 20yr old home price. Thank you for the replies, they put an old lady's fears to rest :)
Greg

If the squeak is in the area over the frame rail look to see if there is a lag bolt it that area. If so go under and try giving it a half a turn tighter, that may take care of it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."