A plethora of flooring options

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I would like to get some feedback on what kind of floor I should put in my mobile home. I will hire someone to do it, no matter what option I go with. So a DIY job is not an option for me.

I was thinking of a vinyl floor that looks like ceramic tiles. Then someone mentioned to me that vinyl floors are not overly common nowa days. At Home Depot I saw some vinyl strips. It looked like it was three 12"x12" inch squares but made to be one long strip. Then I also saw the regular 12"x12" inch squares, similar to what you would see on the floor inside a store, but of course with lots of interesting patters to pick from. I guess I was never fond of the 12"x12" squares because of how many seams you would have all over the place. Isn't seamless more attractive? Or at least the longer strips would have slightly less seams.

One contractor said he didn't want to bother doing my whole house in sheet vinyl, because it would be too difficult to keep the patter consistent from room to room to hallway, etc. I thought that was kinda weird. Maybe he was a lazy ass.

Anyway, I would love to hear what you suggest. This mobile home is not our primary residence, so I don't want anything over-the-top expensive.

Thank you!
Greg S

For mobiles I use sheet vinyl in the kitchen and bath, laminate in the living room and hall, carpet in the bedroom.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
nestsman

Just curious why you use both sheet vinyl and laminate. I assume it's not the same design, do most people like that?
Greg S

I use the laminate as an upscale product appearance wise. I would use hardwood but unfortunately the value of the homes does not warrant the additional expense when flipping mobiles.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)