aluminum siding -can i use roofing panels

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

thatswhoiam

mobile home has corrugated aluminum siding. much of it is very thin, porous and in need of being replaced. I have no knowledge in this department, so pardon me if my question sounds crazy.

can the corrugated metal panels for roofing be used as siding also? and if so, would the whole thing have to be replaced, or can I just replace the worst ones ?

I will have someone who knows what they are doing to help me once I get to that point, if i ever do.
1987Commodore

If you don't replace a whole side of the home at once, I think you would have issues with different widths of materials and styles of corrugation sealing together.
Greg S

Roofing material can be used however if you do not replace a entire side you will need to paint both the old and new siding to get a proper matched finish.
The desired appearance of the finished product will depend on the standards of the community you are in.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
thatswhoiam

okay, thanks. good to know info. ...and right about not using 2 different panels......its hard enough to get them to line up even when they match
JD
Site Admin

I don't see why they would not work. Might not look great, but should do the job it is intended for. The hard part will be creating the new trim for the top of the panels. All corrugated panels will have ribs standing off from the wall. You will have to fashion some type of "Z" bar to stop water from penetrating the tops of the panels. That Z bar should go under the drip rail or overhang to ensure that you have no leaks at the trim.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.