To caulk, or not to caulk....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

Hello...

We had a sidewalk poured around the house, and the contractor left a gap of apprx 1/4 inch between the skirting and the cement. I have a phobia with open cracks, anywhere, and want to use a silicone caulk made for use on cement to fill it in. I read here all the time about shifting, so I wanted to ask if this is a good idea....or do I need to leave that gap?
Greg

If you are in a cold region, Shifting may be a factor. If that is the case, you could use round foam that is used for expansion joints. Silicone may work also but I am not sure if it would tear should anything shift.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

What exactly does the concrete butt up against? If the concrete was poured up to your skirting you usually use a foam expansion material between the concrete and whatever it is up against. Most caulks do good up to about 1/4" and are pretty flexible but it all depends on how much movement you have. Both horizontal and vertical movement. If it's just a gap then you will want to caulk it, especially if you live in a freeze/thaw climate. Water will get in there and freeze and spread it apart causing damage. Like Greg mentioned if the gap is bigger stuff some foam backer rod in there before you caulk. If the gap is 1/4" then get the next size up backer rod and use a wood block to stuff it in the crack. This gives the caulk something to grab onto and makes it so you don't have to use so much caulk.

Got a picture of this gap?
countrydan

I agree with Greg and ponch..

However, please take it a step further and use primer before you caulk. You won't regret this extra, easy, step.. It's found at contractor supply places and is worth it.. This is essential with exterior applications imo..
LisaBoyer

Sorry it's taken so long to respond, we've been gutting a bathroom and the counter top didn't give up without a fight. Next time, we buy a pre-made vanity.

Here is a pic of the gap, the contractor put some kind of material to prevent the cement from touching the skirt, looked like thick cardboard but it came right out, so not sure what it was. Thanks for all the suggestions, heading to the store today and will pick up some primer and caulk.
skirting.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.