Advice on Skylights

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Annie410

I bought a home, and the first thing I am doing is a new roof. My question is in regards to skylights. The contractor suggested removing them, I like the light, but I am well aware of the issues they can cause down the road. Any thoughts on removing vs. installing new ones? I assume getting rid of them will be good for heating bills, and having read the other thread on skylights, sun damage (very obvious in master bath carpet, which is the next thing to go) will no longer be an issue. The skylights are in both bathrooms, if that makes a difference.
Greg

If you are talking about the factory installed plastic skylights, I would get rid of them, they will be a problem sooner or later. I have a 22 yr. old Velux opening skylight in our living room that is starting to show it's age, I will replace it with a new one when I have to.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Annie410

They are the factory installed plastic, and have had a leak issue that was repaired a few years ago.

Thank you for the feedback, Greg!
countrydan

When I re roof I will get rid of my skylights. They're nice for sunlight but have a horrible r value and leak over time and cause headaches.

My suggestion is if you are in a cold climate to get water and ice shield installed on your eves. Now is the time. A small price increase but you will never worry about ice dams..
Steve S.

Personally, I'd eliminate the skylights. I don't see any benefits to having them. Anything that penetrates the roof sheathing is subject to eventual deterioration and water intrusion. I don't have skylights but I have 5 mushroom-style roof vents which need to be visually inspected every year and re-caulked. Even the best of roof and flashing sealants eventually dry and crack.
Greg S

Get rid of them, do not replace.
When I reno I always remove skylights. A large hole in your roof is never a good idea and will eventually leak.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Annie410

Thank you, everyone, I am going to get rid of them, the light is nice, but a nightmare down the road is not worth the risk.

@countrydan, yes, I am going with the water & ice shield.

Now to find someone who doesn't want an arm and a leg to do the job! The park requires shingles so any other type of roofing is out.