Concrete skirting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Greg

As many of you know I LOVE steel skirting, It is weedeater proof and any critter than can chew through it can take up residence.

But I found a guy that had 2'x4' insulated concrete panels that I'm going to try.
IMG_8590.JPG
My plan is to place the bottom in a trench and build as "L" bracket under the rim joist to support the top.
IMG_8591.JPG
I think I will shave the foam off of the back and allow just the concrete to slide under the aluminum flashing covering the rim.
IMG_8593.JPG
I may replace the aluminum with 1x4 vinyl board to make it more rigid and look better but I haven't made up my mind yet.
IMG_8594.JPG
I took these pictures last weekend when I was playing around with some scraps. If anyone has other ideas let me know.

I think with a little paint these will look a lot better than steel and the insulation can't hurt either.

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

Did you ever look into the steel stud top tracks Greg? I thought they would work perfect for this. Galvanized, they make them in different depths so you could do a bottom/top track setup like with the vinyl panels where you could slide the top in and then down in the bottom track. Would allow for a little movement for expansion and contraction. I know you trailer is on piers so won't move but the skirting will still lift during freezing won't it?
Greg

I forgot about your steel stud idea, That's why I posted this, there are a lot of good ideas out there.
I had the skirting open last weekend to add an outdoor faucet for the garden and figured I may as well start trying to figure out the skirting since I have to move the pile of it to attach the addition.
IMG_8595.JPG

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Well after a late start this afternoon... 4 down 96 more to go!
IMG_8599.JPG
I did go with the steel studs Ponch.

Greg
ponch37300

When you posted the 3 1/2" thick measurement a while back that's the first thing I thought of! I did a LOT of steel studs in hospitals and schools and other projects. Glad it worked out for you. Post up some pics of the install details if you can. What's this addition you are talking about? Time to add on to the homestead?
Greg

The addition was attached to the place that was here that we demolished. I brought a set of Hilman rollers home, Jacked it up and rolled away from the old trailer. I figured I will roll it back against ours' and enlarge the living room and have a separate laundry room. Since it's 12'x30' and still solid why waste it. I will need to re do the roof and add a more solid rafter system since it only has 2x4s now. and upgrade the windows.
IMG_8465.JPG
Thats about the only picture I could find from when we took the tree down. I had moved it and put it up on blocks, You can see it needs some TLC.

Greg
ponch37300

Going to poor peers for that also?
Greg

I have to, I really don't want to try to connect a floating addition to a home on piers. I have a feeling that it may be hard enough to keep it sealed with out making problems.

Greg
Greg

Well, it's been a major PITA at times, but the front finally has concrete skirting. I bought some textured coil stock and bent new trim for the bottom.

Greg

IMG_8600.JPG
IMG_8601.JPG
This is from the street.