Perimiter skirting/cinder blocks

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

steelworkersgal

Hi JD and Gregg

I was wondering once a MH is in place and you have vinyl skirting on your home and you want to change it out to cinder blocks how involved do you think that's going to be, is it possible and can it be done without moving the home. Sorry have not been on here for a long while and these questions came up over this past weekend.
You can do anything if you put your mind to
Greg

Ok so you are switching from vinyl to block skirting? It will require some digging around the edge so the blocks are below grade. The best method would be to pour a foundation and build from that. Many homes use blocks for skirting. I am going to be switching my steel to insulated concrete panels on ours.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve S.

Any problems with the steel skirting Greg, or are you just tired of it and need a change?
I'm still happy with my vinyl Parkside panels, although I've had to replace a couple of panels due to holes :( (probably from rocks being thrown by lawnmower). How are the concrete panels held in place?
Greg

No Steve, no problems. I found a guy that had insulated 2'x4' concrete panels for a buck ea. so I grabbed enough to do the place. I figure 3" of foam will do a better job and the concrete finish should look better.

I am still in the planning stage of placing them. I am leaning towards placing them in the ground and using some type pressure treated "L" at the top. Since I have moved and the home is on piers 48" deep I am not worried about the home shifting and I have clay down about 12" so I don't think that will heave.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Two things to know about using cinderblock for skirting. They must be on a concrete footing, especially in any area that will freeze. Even without freezing, there will be enough movement within a couple of years to mess thing up. Lining up perfect 18" rectangles for 60' is no easy task. Mortar between blocks allow some adjustment, but you will need to keep things perfectly straight. A mason does this for a living, so it is like just another day for them. First timers can have a pretty hard go of it.

The next thing to consider is if this "skirting" wall goes under the home to line up with your exterior skirting, know that as the home settles or goes out of level, the block wall will stop movement, possibly putting a strain on the subfloor. Again, with out a proper footing, any frost heave will play hell with not only the skirting cracking, but possibly lifting on certain areas of the home. A proper footing should be shaped like a "T" in profile and not just a trench with concrete in it.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.