belly wrap/insulation question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Asphaltcowboy

I'm in the process of tearing out the belly wrap from under my single wide. A lot of it was damaged due to stray cats getting in there from previous unfixed holes after water line repairs. Anyways I noticed that about a quarter of the length of the trailer has the batte style insulation up in between the floor joists. The rest only has what looks like a really thin layer of loose insulation laying on the belly wrap. I'm wanting to do the entire underside with the batte insulation. My question is, do I need to put a belly wrap back up or will a moisture barrier laid on the ground suffice. I'm hearing mixed opinions about it on other boards. Also isn't the paper side of the insulation a moisture barrier also? Thanks in advance. This is my first post here. Thanks for having me.
DaleM

You're best off putting up new belly wrap as well as new insulation. That wrap helps keep the heat in and drafts out.
Greg

Insulation on Mobiles are designed to hang under the joists like a big blanket. If you are in a cold region you want the warm air to be able to circulate under the floor to keep pipes from freezing.

If the area you live in is "Not too cold" you may be able to get by with insulated skirting.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Asphaltcowboy

I live in southern Ohio. So how do I get the insulation to hang below the joists? Do I still use the batte type insulation that normally goes in between the joists. Just trying to picture that stuff just hanging there below the joists.
MizFurball

Somebody answer Asphaltcowboy. I def don't know the answer to this one.
DaleM

Outside of the I-beams you can usually staple insulation in between the joists as normal. In between the I-beams is where you need to drape it down some to form a belly. Easiest I found was to cut encapsulated insulation about 18"-24" longer than the width of the home. Working from the middle slide each end over the I-beam and pull to edge of home, staple into place. This will create the belly you are looking for in between the beams.
Asphaltcowboy

I get what you are saying but what is encapsulated insulation?
1987Commodore

Asphaltcowboy

So the idea is to use the encapsulated insulation as both the insulation and the belly wrap? If so, do I put the vapor barrier side of it facing the ground? Just wondering because it mentions putting the vapor barrier side against the floor. Thanks for the help everyone.
1987Commodore

You are going to want new belly wrap also, attached below the fiberglass. Ysing just the fiberglass will leave lots of spaces for drafts and critters.
DaleM

The encapsulated is not a vapor barrier but the belly wrap is and that is why you have to install new belly wrap.
mattjslaunwhite

when i redid all my plumbing i reran everything above the floor so im just gonna fill the gap between the joists with think insulation to keep it warm
"The only thing impossible is being impossible itself" - my life motto