more about cleaning w-heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

markjhansen

Hello,
Good info on the previous post about cleaning electric w-heater.
I think i need to do the same.
My question is: can I stick something in the drain valve hole to loosen up an stir the junk that is clogging the drain while the tank is draining so the junk continues to come out? Are there parts down there that could be damaged?Should the water drain fast,my water drains very slowly,even witha faucet open and the releif valve open.
My MH is my cottage and is a couple hundred miles away in I have a well water that has some iron in it.I don't get up there that often as to spend enough time to do more.
The w-heater is about 8 years old but was not used at all for about 4 of those years.
I look forward to your responces and am sure I will have plenty more questions about this and other issues for all of you fine helpful Mobile Home Folks.
Thanks
DaleM

You can try but more often than not the valve, being quite restrictive, continues to plug up. Just posted a procedure about replacing that drain valve with a full flow ball valve on the other W/H thread. It will make flushing/draining the water heater easier.
ponch37300

Mine drains pretty slow also. If you have sediment like I do it plugs up the drain. The problem with sticking anything in there to unplug it is that you wouldn't be able to have the hose hooked up while doing that. So if you do unplug it then the water will come flying out and make a mess. My water heater is inside so I can't have that.

I've been meaning to replace the valve for a while now, just one of those things that gets put off since I have so much other stuff going on and it's "working" alright as is. Next time I go to the store I will buy one to have on hand for next time I flush it and swap them out. I like Dale's idea of just running a line right out the bottom of the floor so all you have to do is open the valve and let it flow.
markjhansen

My water heater is in a closet with an exterier door.
I have a short hose that i would use and will still be able to poke something through to loosen up the debri while it is draining. i will check out the other thread about replacing the drain valve as i will be flushing the w-heater for now on every spring before turning the water back on.