Pest Animal Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Fyreseer

I think I have a raccoon under my trailer. There's *something* under there, and it's not a cat or dog, anyways. It chirps/ chirrups/ trills in the morning sometimes, around 6.

I have put some flour down where I think it is coming in, so I can make sure. I will call animal control and get a trap if it is.

I know I will need to replace the belly board and insulation. Is there some sort of screen I can put up on that part, as well, to keep it from happening again in the future?

I've seen people suggest mothballs underneath... but does that really work? All the sites I've looked at say chemical deterrents are no good...

I've already called Fish and Game, and they've given me permission to shoot it, whatever it is.

Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks!
~Fyre
Greg

Fyre, Hi & welcome. Moth balls do help, the trick is finding the right amount to put down. if you don't put enough they don't work, too much and YOU can't live there. Try scattering a few hand fulls at a time and see if it helps, then seal up the belly & skirting AFTER the critters are gone. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Fyreseer

Thanks, Greg. I kindof figured to seal it up *after* it (hopefully NOT 'they'!!) is gone... :lol:

To be honest, if I can drive it out by smell alone, I can *deal* with the smell of mothballs, so I'm not going to worry much about there being "too much".
readysetgo

I wouldn't put too much out cause it's a health hazard to breathe it. The box should have a warning, but if not, I've read that it could cause cancer by breathing it over long term etc.
Casondra

This winter we had an opposum under our trailer. We tried moth balls. We ended up getting an animal cage and putting cat food, and some celery and grapes in it and caught the animal the next day.
Harry

Hi

I use cat food also. Caught a racoon the other day. I take them across the river and release them. Here's a photo:

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Maureen

Hi Frye! Welcome to the forum!

One more tip, once you rid the home of the critter down under, make suer that your skirting is also intact and sealed up good! If your skirting isn't in perfect condition, nothing you do will keep the critters out!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Harry

Hi

Cat food also caught this fox.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
busybee1952

My garden is fenced in to keep the deer, rabbits, etc. out but I forgot and left the gate open Wed. morning. When I got home Wed. night, a big groundhog (woodchuck) had moved in and dug it's den right under the pepper plant I've been babying all summer. It ate most of a row of carrots too. I looked up how to get rid of it humanely and the suggestion was to soak a rag in bleach and throw it down the hole. I did that and left the gate open so it could get out and move on. The next day, it was gone. If that hadn't worked, I was going to try the next suggestion which was to sprinkle human urine around the den opening. I'm kinda glad the bleach rag worked though. LOL

I know some people here don't have a full cement slab under their homes so if you ever get a groundhog that moves in, (although I think they will prefer your garden or flower bed) you know what to do now.

I wish I would have asked it to chuck me some wood before it left. sigh...