1970's MH total demo & overhaul help?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JD
Site Admin

Yeah, Washington state. This is where the warm side issue can get tricky, especially in Eastern Washington where temps can range from 3 to 103. I have no experience with cold weather and mobile home repair, so take what I would say as purely my uneducated opinion. I would suggest getting what info you can from your local code enforcement or established mobile home repair people, in your area. Maybe a local mobile home parts supply house would have info for you.

But for me, I would be considering sliding the roof felt strips between the roof metal and trusses. Then I would use no more than an R-19 standard fiberglass insulation or the high density batts at R-21. You will loose some of this insulation value due to compression towards the eaves of your roof. But insulation this thick still leaves some room for airflow. I would also install gable vents to ensure this airflow. Maybe even whirlybirds of the roof. I am not sure of the cfm all this would generate, but it would be critical to have sufficient air flow to remove moisture that will build up in this roof. I would also use non-faced insulation (no paper layer) and depend on sheet vapor barrier attached to the bottom of the trusses before adding the ceiling panels. The only thing I have seen factories install is 4mil poly, which is readily available in bulk at your local home store. I would not know if current new manufactured homes are using a home wrap instead of sheet poly. Again, I do not live in an area where condensation is a major problem and I have not worked on many 2004 or later homes. I usually get the jalopies. :) These are my recommendations because this is how I see the homes are built in my area. There are always trade-offs. I don't think any system is perfect in all weather conditions.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
memorymomma

First and foremost I want to thank the fine folks who responded to my pleas for help. After much consideration I have decided to eliminate the old mobile home and purchase a used newer one for the lot. It appears for just a few thousand more I can have a home that will hopefully not have the long term upkeep that the low sloping roof and all the other issues that can arise. Including new walls, new plumbing, new wiring, new walls, new windows, new siding, skirting, sheetrock, light fixtures and appliances. So now begins the fun of shopping for a "used" mobile. I can already see finding one that needs moved is not always the typical. Again ~ thanks for everything!
Greg

see the sticky post about buying a used home. there is lots of information and things to look for.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
memorymomma

Yes you are correct. I purchased the property and the mobile was a bonus and not really part of the purchase. I wasn't sure if it could be re-done. Again, thanks so much!
Greg

Keep us up to date on your progress!!

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve-WA

Where in WA are you?
memorymomma

Longview, and you?