Double Wide Creation (Renewal)

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kinyocase

Yes. I will be doing the drainage all the way around both halves. Basically putting the house on a hill, (my plan is 1" per 1' to get a 10 inch drop in 10 feet of run). I will be sure to post how things work out after next winter. :D
Greg S

Where we are with extreamly cold winters we do not have frost heave issues if the skirting is properly insulated. With skirting insulation in place and the home properly heated the ground under the home never freezes therefor no frost issues.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
kinyocase

Thank you for that Greg S. I will be sure to insulate my skirting very well! Now if I read correctly you need 1 vent for every 150sqft of floor space? How does one keep it temp controlled with all those vents?
Greg

Most people close the vents off in cold weather, and open them in the spring. Your figures for vents are a minimum, you can always use more.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
kinyocase

Okay so are there specific skirting vents that close or do you use like hvac duct vents...like inside the house?
Greg

There are vents that have self closing features. Check the books & parts section of the site, Mark used to have them.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

They are also available at Lowes.
kinyocase

Okay been a while since I updated. Messing about with siding the house. I will be pulling the two homes together using a Dead man weighing around 50k to hold some large pullers to slowly squeeze the two together. I've still got some work to go on the perimeter drainage and of course dropping the blocks before I pull the two together.

My one mobile is still on level with my 100ft water level, and I will be lowering the other trailer about an inch to get the two floors in line once I have it moved. In the mean time I put a few boards up on the west wall of the new half.

My first time residing a house so I hope I'm doing okay.

kinyocase

Okay I may have run my course in this nonsensical idea of merging two single wides. My new plans are to tear down the 1984 and use the wood from this house to build additions onto the 1976. I'm looking for ideas on making this happen so any thoughts would be welcomed. I've built additions onto mobiles before with my father, but he was far from educated. I remember he built an addition on my room with above ground cylindrical piers that after the first winter pushed through the floor. :D

Looking forward to your replies. As I stated already my original house half is still on level with my water level, but I will still be doing the same drainage plan as originally planned.

John
ponch37300

Any details on why you are throwing in the towel?

As for additions unless the MH and addition are on piers that go down to the frost line they will move and shift separately.
kinyocase

My towel has been picked back up. I will be paying a couple of kids I know to dig the holes under the house after we have it moved, then I will do cement piers and continue with my standard idea of drainage. I think I was just venting momentarily with the insane amount of work I have coming ahead of me. Thursday I will be pulling the two together and getting the hole locations marked.

I took a 30 minute walk through the 84 yesterday after making my post, and realized that they house is just in too good of shape to stop now. I have too many ideas and plans for this merge and Will be seeing through. Looking forward to actually getting some updates posted for you all to see. Please stick with me on this adventure.
Greg S

I don't know if this has been asked yet but have you applied for the necessary permits to do this job.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
kinyocase

Yes sir all things have been cleared. It was all discussed in the other thread. I just need to buckle down and get to work on this project, but one day a week will make it a tough endeavor.
kinyocase

Got the house to within 2" today, right up until my chain snapped. We will finish up sliding them together tomorrow after work and get down to the nitty gritty of the situation.
ponch37300

If you get a chance I'd love to see some pictures of the process of how you're sliding the two halves together.