new shingle roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

thelovelychristine

we have a pitched roof that we want to know if it is possible to put a shingle roof over making new rafters and not removing metal
any advice would be appreciated
Greg

Your home was designed for a metal roof. If you do a shingle roof on it you would need to redesign the roof system to support the extra weight. It may be easier to simply build a self supported roof over the home.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I would not recommend adding plywood and shingle to a mobile home built for a metal roof. Typically we are talking 1x2 or 2x2 trusses. I have seen many homes basically ruined by doing this. The ceilings end up sagging real bad. This being said, I have also seen a lot of homes that have held up well after the addition of plywood and shingles.

Making actual trusses or any type of self supporting structure to put plywood and shingles onto probably would only make the problem worse and there is no way to put a bottom cord on the added "truss". Basically, just adding more weight. Greg suggestion of a pole barn type roof-over may be the best bet for shingle roof.

The better suggestion would be to go to a single-ply rubber roof. These roofs and roofers are pretty common now a days, and should be able to find a contractor in your phone book. There are also instructions and videos available online if you want to install one yourself.

A metal panel roof, in particular a solid foam laminated aluminum roof panel are also excellent re-roof options.

Shingles and plywood may be a lot cheaper than the other recommendations, but those other options will outlast a shingle roof 2-3 times or more and much less chance f damaging your home.

JMHO
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
thelovelychristine

thanks for the info
I was pretty sure not a great idea, but wanted more input