Newbie prepping for resale

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

soonerj92

I bought my first mobile home this past July. It's a 2003 Liberty. It was an "as-is" but functional. I'm having a house built and it will be ready at the end of August so I want to make my mobile attractive to buyers. The bathroom vanities are not the greatest quality, the kitchen counter laminate is peeling, and the kitchen cabinets are few and cheap looking. Vinyl sheet flooring and carpet were new when I bought it. Here are the questions I have:

What should I concentrate on upgrading that will make it more attractive without me wasting money?

If I replace the bathroom vanities, can I get regular ones from a place like Home Depot or do I have to get ones made especially for mobile homes?

Can I remove the laminate on the kitchen counter and replace it with new laminate or just get new counters?

Should I replace the cabinets? I can't really do much to improve them as they are.

Whomever patched the drywall did a horrible job. It's not smooth and you can see where they just globbed on putty. How can I fix that?

Thanks in advance!

Jen
Greg

Jen, This is a tough question to answer. As you said you don't want to waste money, That said you really need to see what you can get out of it both in "as is" or fixed up. You also have to remember that you may be sitting on it if it does not sell quickly.

A lot also depends on location. Park, land? Some parks alone will devalue a home (I just got out of one). So there are other factors that go into the decision.

As far as new cabinets & countertops As long as you are doing a whole section, you can fit anything in.

If you can post some pictures it will give us a better idea of what you are up against.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mattjslaunwhite

another big factor is your own abilities, if you can do 99% of the work yourself you will save well over 1/2 the cost of renovating, therefor increasing your profit margin on flipping it
"The only thing impossible is being impossible itself" - my life motto
Greg S

In light of the fact that you purchased it only last year why would you not be able to sell it as is for the same price you paid without having to do any work at all. After all you bought it that way for your price so why would there not be someone else willing to do the same.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)