78' skyline 12x 60 sw reno

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mattjslaunwhite

im not gonna be selling it, once its fixed its gonna be rented, im currently in the works of buying the next 2 MH's over ($1200 for a 8x50 sw and exchanging being a property manager to 2 that a freind owns in the same park for his 14x70 sw ) so eventully i will live in the 14x70 and rent out the 8' and 12'er's
"The only thing impossible is being impossible itself" - my life motto
mattjslaunwhite

did the bathroom this week, only thing reused from the ground up was 3 joists, everything else went, new tub, surround, hot water tank, all new plumbing, new floor joists, new sub floor, new vinyl, new toilette. still got to build the vanity/sink in the next few days, not bad started it tuesday and had it to this point saterday

also re-surfaced the roof with fibrated tar made for these roofs, no leaks finally!

mattjslaunwhite

probley shouldnt have been on the roof in the sun for so long (in sept had 32% total body burn on my left side and about 7 full skin grafts) but, got 1/3 of the roof done today before i had to get out of the sun!

bobfather99

Looks like its going great. Keep it up!!! Post pics when you can.
Tip your bartender.....
mattjslaunwhite

starting into the kitchen this next few weeks, my grandfather has the measurements and started building the new cabinets, and we priced up some counter-tops. time to start ripping out the old kitchen (delayed for now as one of our cats is literally in the process of giving birth, so far 3 kittens but 1 stillborn)
mattjslaunwhite

so, greg or greg lol some opinions on siding, do you usually pull the metal up and lay down osb/tyvec then the siding or do you just lay strapping over the metal and put thin insulation between them then siding on top? budget doesn't matter nor does what is easier as you have seen more or less work to me is the same lol starting the kitchin this following week and after that the siding so planning ahead
Greg S

I apply rigid foam first (1 1/2") directly on the metal siding then the strapping over top and more rigid foam (1/2") between the strapping. House wrap before siding.
When working on the outside of the home use screws for everything including the vinyl siding. The sheathing on the home is too thin to hold any type of nails. Hammering will shake everything lose.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

The one that I did reside was our daughters. I put OSB up as underlay, tyvec and siding.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mattjslaunwhite

some more progress in the kitchen,