Whats under this?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mopower440

There is a fake looking wood beam that runs accross the ceiling in the middle of my oakwood double wide at the marriage line. Does this actually cover another peice of wood that hangs down or does it just cover the seam in the where the 2 halves meet where they dont 'mud' and finish the sheetrock ceiling? In other words, if i removed this fake beam, would there just be a gap or is there a joist or something that hangs down?
mopower440

mopower440 wrote:There is a fake looking wood beam that runs accross the ceiling in the middle of my oakwood double wide at the marriage line. Does this actually cover another peice of wood that hangs down or does it just cover the seam in the where the 2 halves meet where they dont 'mud' and finish the sheetrock ceiling? In other words, if i removed this fake beam, would there just be a gap or is there a joist or something that hangs down?

sorry, here is the picture..
Greg

It looks like ( and should be) just trim. I think you will find that there is framing that sits lower than the ceiling panel, so you could not just make a seamless joint.

You could get creative and build a rough cut beam that would look better than the molding most builders use.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
opinion free

If you Google 'Styrofoam wood beams' you will find a HUGE supply of 3 sided faux wood beams that are made to cover the thing you have already. These aren't your Momma's faux wood beams, these things look incredible. My neighbor installed them when he remodeled. They aren't cheap, but they are very nice looking.
Check out this site, foamdesigncenter.com If you can tell those beams aren't wood, I owe you a cup of coffee.
JD
Site Admin

The lines in the ceiling makes it look like the marriage beam. If it is running down the middle of the home, then that is what it is. You can trim it any way you like, but you won't be able to remove it. Uncovering it, it should like the edges of two 2x10s or 2x12s, sandwiching a couple of matching pieces of plywood.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.