help..how to attach molding

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mopower440

I have the cheapo trailer windows with the metal flange that bolts around the perimeter on the interior wall. I cut some molding to put around the window but not sure how to attach it..I cant nail it because i would have to nail through the metal flange..any ideas?

Greg S

Construction adhesive. Check the glue section at Home Depo etc.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
mopower440

ok but how do i hold it up there while the adhesive dries?
ponch37300

If you do use construction adhesive you can just use blue painters tape to hold it in place until it dries. How are you going to deal with the "button" looking caps on the metal trim? Won't they prevent you from attaching new trim?
mopower440

If I use adhesive, how can I ever remove it if I ever need to remove the window again?
DaleM

A knife. Just slip it under the edge of the trim and cut the adhesive. Any knife will do, I use a knife with a flat edge that I sharpen with a stone once in a while. A serrated edged knife would work too.
1987Commodore

Remove the hex head screws and replace with flat head. I'm pretty sure I used drywall screws.
I had no problem nailing mine on, but the construction adhesive would work fine also.
ponch37300

If you want to nail it just pre drill threw the trim and the metal of the window. Just a size smaller then the nail you will use.